Home

Menopause choking feeling in throat

I have had for a few months the feeling that something is stuck in my throat and it won't go down . I have gone to the GP ( 2 of them), to be told it could be silent reflux/ post Nasal drip/ anxiety /sinisus and menopause. I have had s endoscope 2 years ago and only reflux and a H / hernia. I'm starting to stress out what can this be Select Page. menopause choking feeling in throat. by | Feb 13, 2021 | Uncategorized | 0 comments | Feb 13, 2021 | Uncategorized | 0 comment I have something similar when I go to bed, it's like a tightening sensation around my throat - almost like I have a scarf is wrapped too tight but no choking, very odd. The only thing I would say is I'm not sure that this is a symptom of the menopause. This isn't to frighten you in anyway, but it is veryl too easy to blame things on the meno The next day, the feeling subsided but it eventually came back if I kept swallowing. After a week or so passed by, the discomfort seemed to go away. At times, when I laughed or talked, I could feel a little discomfort on my neck/throat, I don't really know how to explain this feeling. It doesn't really hurt, but it causes me discomfort Hashimotos, thyroiditis, and inflammation and/or infection of the gland can and does cause this choking sensation around the throat. There are other issues that can cause it, but I have not heard of Mono patients presenting with long term pain and pressure in the throat area

A small pouch that forms and collects food particles in your throat, often just above your esophagus, leads to difficulty swallowing, gurgling sounds, bad breath, and repeated throat clearing or coughing Cricopharyngeal spasms occur within cricoid cartilage in your throat. This area is located right at the top of the esophagus and at the bottom of the pharynx. The UES is responsible for preventing.. Acid from the stomach comes up and irritates the back of the throat, adds Dr. Silvers. This causes it to swell. This makes it hard to swallow and gives a feeling of a lump in the throat. Patients may describe shortness of breath, choking sensation or trouble swallowing Menopause Message Board HealthBoards; Board Index > Menopause > W > what could cause a choking feeling in your throat; Choking Feeling in Throat. May 8, 2005. Just a few thoughts about the reflux problem. Got mine last October after 2 courses of an antibiotic I have never taken before, and still wonder if that is what did the damage Women may experience a burning or choking sensation in the throat, chest pain, trouble swallowing and morning hoarseness. Mary Infantino, RN, Ph.D., Director of the Graduate Nursing Program at Long Island University in New York conducted a study in 2008 on gastroesophageal reflux symptoms in perimenopausal and menopausal women 4

Trouble swallowing Menopause Forums Patien

menopause choking feeling in throat - victoriajunctionbc

1. s which I do not tolerate well anyway. Also when the anxiety is very high too I have had that feeling at times. (11 replies
  2. I wonder if I even need it anymore. A subjective feeling of something stuck in the throat while swallowing. All i want to do is sleep now because it is making me very sad and lonely. Once this infection dies down, the feeling may subside. Examples include supraventricular tachycardia, excessive caffeine use, or heart rhythm disorder. I have found that when I first wake up it's not there, but.
  3. Globus sensation is the feeling of having a 'lump' in the throat. Globus sensation is a persistent sensation of a lump in the throat. People report the lump as non-painful but often annoying...

Dry mouth/difficulty swallowing - Menopause Matter

1. This is a very rare symptom, Schmidt says, but some women going through menopause may feel pain or a burning sensation on their tongue, lips, gums, or other spots in their mouths. You may.
  2. Chronic hoarseness, throat clearing, and cough, as well as a feeling of a lump in the throat or difficulty swallowing may be signs that you have LPR. Some people have intermittent hoarseness, and others have problems with too much nose and throat drainage, that is, too much mucus or phlegm. That causes chronic throat clearing
  3. Expectorants, such as guaifenesin (Mucinex, Robitussin) can thin and loosen mucus so it will clear out of your throat and chest
  4. Buzzing sensation in the feet, toes, hands, fingers, arms, legs. Chest pain anxiety symptoms. Chest pains anxiety symptoms. Chest tightness feeling. Choking. Choking feeling in throat. Chronic Fatigue, exhaustion, super tired, worn out. Chronic pain and anxiety. Clumsiness, feeling clumsy, co-ordination problems with the limbs or bod
  5. i am so desperate for an answer about the way i am feeling about this lump in my throat. i am very glad to have found these posts and find them very useful. i searched Cricopharyngeal Spasm and found the symptoms very acurate. this is the second time i have experienced about this strangling/choking feeling and i thought omg i'm gonna die. lol. i was even rushed to the hospital because i.
  6. In some people, that muscle tension can cause the throat to feel inflamed. In many people, that feeling is described as a lump in the throat or a throat knot. It may be referred to in medical circles a
  7. g too, technical, messages are sent to the hypothalmus because of declining estrogen production via neurons which result in.

Perimenopause is the time leading up to menopause (which essentially is just a day in time) and is when women are most symptomatic. Perimenopause can range from three to ten years, for some being an easy transition but for the majority of women, around 85 percent, a challenging time of symptoms both physically and mentally that cause a shift in quality of life Oftentimes, mucus in throat is a result of a bacterial, viral, or fungal infection. The symptoms may include fever, chills, congestion, coughing, runny nose, itchy eyes, headache, and difficulty. Menopause is a time of hormonal imbalance, known mostly for the common hot flashes and mood swings, but since these chemical messengers are heavily involved in regulating your body's immune system, it can also be a time when mild allergies begin striking you more severely or when previously unknown allergies appear.. Continue reading to discover some of the most common menopause allergy. Choking on nothing. I have done this for as long as I can remember occasionally, seem to go through spells of it. I will go to speak and either breathe in or turn my head and massive choking fit, I even lose my voice for a few minutes to a croak. I then am left with an annoying tickle at base of throat for rest of day I have a choking feeling in throat. Have been on thyroid meds but it is not helping the choking feeling. It seems to be - Answered by a verified Doctor I understand that I may be going through menopause also, but would I have the choking feeling from that? Yes, I have been under a lot of stress with my work

Weird feeling in neck/throat?: Menopause Community

The Forgotten Five: The Worst Menopause Symptoms You Never Heard About . 1. I had to grab my desk, feel like I was going to pass out. When I breath in I can feel a since of cold air in my throat and chest. Lots of head and neck pain, with body ache constantly. Eyes seem to take time to adjust to light, unsteadiness, unable to focus. Okay, I. 65. I've been having what feels like a strangling sensation for months, and it's been getting way worse. The mechanism in my mouth to swallow feels off and there's this weird pressure in my throat. It's so bad sometimes I feel like there's hardly enough room to swallow, but I can breathe okay. Weird metallic bitter taste in my mouth. ENT physicians deal a lot with LPR (laryngeal pharyngeal reflux). That feeling of a lump in the throat is a physical swelling from irritating-stomach acid reaching up into the throat. If all patients with acid reflux presented with heartburn and indigestion, the diagnosis would be easy. As a result patients would take over the counter.

I have difficulty swallowing saliva (golf ball in throat feeling), but have a lesser problem swallowing water or eating. At all times, it now feels like someone is strangling me - somethimes mild to extreme. I do not feel like I am choking. It has never felt like it is on the interior of my throat I started feeling the throat pressure whilst off the medication so I did another set of blood tests to check the current thyroid levels. I'm now awaiting this test. Somehow I believe the throat tightness is related to increasing or high thyroid levels. Persons with this problem may wish to have some blood work done to check their thyroid levels Two things, either anxiety, which makes the throat feel like it has a lump in it or tight, like choking or thyroid, if you have a goiter this would do this too. The only way your throat would bother you during perimenopause would be the tightening effect with anxiety or thyroid conditions Also called globus pharyngeus, globus sensation is the feeling of being unable to remove a lump from your throat, or the sensation that there's a pill stuck there. Unlike some other throat issues, there's no actual obstruction with globus pharyngeus. Although globus sensation isn't painful, it can be annoying — and disconcerting

The most common known causes or aggravators of cricopharyngeus spasm (which is characterized by the feeling of something being stuck in your throat or a sort of choking sensation) include anxiety, stress, fatigue and fear. And the sensation caused by the muscle spasms in the throat tend to heighten these feelings more 1. Medications. If the feeling of something stuck in the throat is due to GERD, then medications for GERD are administered. These medications include anti-ulcer medications and prokinetic drugs. 2. Lifestyle Changes. The person should practice a healthy life, and incorporate regular exercise in the daily routine

Women may experience a burning or choking sensation in the throat, chest pain, trouble swallowing and morning hoarseness. Mary Infantino, RN, Ph.D., Director of the Graduate Nursing Program at Long Island University in New York conducted a study in 2008 on gastroesophageal reflux symptoms in perimenopausal and menopausal women Feeling of obstruction in throat as if a slice of roast meat were stuck there which cannot be coughed up nor swallowed down. This sensation becomes more prominent during emotional upset and subsides when relaxe While hot flashes and night sweats are familiar menopause symptoms, many women swear their gyrating hormones cause a host of other unusual problems. The menopause website Power-Surge.com lists 34 reported conditions, including sore joints, dizziness, a burning tongue, heart palpitations, and buzzing sensations in the head

Anxiety. Some research shows that anxiety can be linked to feelings of tightness in your throat. For example, globus is the medical term for the feeling of a lump in your throat Lump in throat warning signs and symptoms. Early warning signs of bump in throat include neck or throat pain, weight loss, abrupt appearance, pain, choking, difficulty swallowing, spitting up food. Often, women going through menopause are afflicted by the sensation of a burning mouth or tongue. Most commonly known as burning mouth syndrome, it is described as a burning sensation on the tongue, gums, lips, inside of the cheeks, or the back of the mouth and throat. A burning mouth and tongue as experienced during menopause is typically. That experience can feel like you're choking or about to choke, when in reality it's harmless. Those with anxiety may experience excess saliva, or (as mentioned above) they may simply not be able to swallow as automatically because they're paying too much attention to the way their throat feels, causing their swallowing reflex to be more conscious Choking Feeling in Throat. A patient that feels choking sensations in the throat may feel that there is something that is stuck in the throat. The degree of the sensation may vary and can be accompanied by chest pains, throat inflammation, voice problems, tightening of the throat, and difficulties and pain in swallowing

And during the menopause, it's known that falling oestrogen can actually affect the mucous production in these areas and dry them out. And we know that vaginal dryness is a huge issue in the menopause. And a lot of women also tend to get dry mouth and dry or irritated eyes as well. But we didn't realise just how big an impact this drying. Constant choking feeling in the throat, 24 hours a day. Feels like a rope around my neck. Can't touch my throat, can't wear a shirt with a full collar, gag or puke every day. Chewed peppermint gum since it started. It helped, but didn't fix anything. Symptoms have increased in the last 2 years. Went the doctor again

Choking Feeling - Tightness in Neck - Thyroid Disorders

Menopause is a natural condition of aging. Some women have no problems with menopause, while others notice significant unpleasant symptoms. Results of allopathic and alternative treatments vary from one woman to another. Prevention Menopause can't be prevented, though some of the symptoms can be relieved by the treatments listed above Apart from the factthat you will feel like you are on the verge of almost dying because of the choking, it doesn't need much explanation as to how you will be able to know when food is stuck in your throat. For the most part, you will start feeling a very discomforting situation with the constant feeling of choking and pain in the throat

Palpitations and a feeling of tightness in the throat can accompany a range of conditions. Examples include supraventricular tachycardia, excessive caffeine use, or heart rhythm disorder. Serious allergic reactions can also produce similar symptoms. Stress reactions and anxiety may also produce physical symptoms such as these. Be sure to contact your doctor if you experience troubling symptoms The feeling that something is stuck in your throat is a miserable feeling. The chronic irritation and coughing, or the inability to swallow your own spit is enough to make anyone feel crazy Constant phlegm in throat Image source: md-health.com. There are various reasons and causes associated with constant and excessive phlegm in the throat or a feeling where one feels that there is mucus in throat all the time

Dysphagia - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clini

The sensation of a lump in your throat can come and go and could be accompanied by hoarseness, a buildup of saliva at the back of the throat, inflammation, or, in some cases, difficulty swallowing. The medical term for the sensation of something stuck in the throat is globus pharyngeus and this is also known as globus sensation Pressure or heaviness and Throat tightness. WebMD Symptom Checker helps you find the most common medical conditions indicated by the symptoms pressure or heaviness and throat tightness including Allergic reaction, Generalized anxiety disorder, and Panic attack. There are 10 conditions associated with pressure or heaviness and throat tightness While hot flashes and night sweats are familiar menopause symptoms, many women swear their gyrating hormones cause a host of other unusual problems. The menopause website Power-Surge.com lists 34 reported conditions, including sore joints, dizziness, a burning tongue, heart palpitations, and buzzing sensations in the head. Download

Catarrh is a build-up of mucus in an airway or cavity of the body. It usually affects the back of the nose, the throat or the sinuses (air-filled cavities in the bones of the face). It's often temporary, but some people experience it for months or years. This is known as chronic catarrh. Catarrh can be a nuisance and may be difficult to get rid. I swing from depression to anxiety and totally understand the lump in the throat feeling. I thought at first I was choking! I am on meds and haven't had that feeling for a while. I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you, just wanted to let you know I understand ___ I have a buzzy feeling in my neck/thyroid area ___ I sometimes feel like I am choking or have something stuck in my throat ___ Sometimes it's hard to swallow ___ My tongue feels thick and/or trembles ___ I have pain and tenderness in my neck and/or thyroid ___ My voice has become hoarse, husky, or gravelly. Weight Changes / Appetite. Thyroid disorders are more common among women. Women with a family history of thyroid problems or autoimmune issues (like type 1 diabetes) are at higher risk, says Dr. Kellis. And as we get older. New research from Norway suggests that lung function in women can decline during and after menopause and that the change can lead to shortness of breath, even with low physical activity. To reach this conclusion, investigators from the University of Bergen analyzed data from 1,438 women participating in the European Community Respiratory Health.

Cricopharyngeal Spasm: Throat Spasm Causes and Treatment

When you suffer from anxiety many of the symptoms can be physical. Some people experience a wide range of physical symptoms including anything from headaches to heart palpitations. In this series. Conditions that cause sore throat, like viral sore throat (pharyngitis), Strep throat, tonsillitis, and laryngitis, can cause painful swallowing and a sensation of fullness that may feel like choking.True choking, however, means that your airway is obstructed and that you cannot breathe. This is a medical emergency that requires action to clear your airway The menopause symptoms didn't seem to affect me like they did my non-exercising friends. Ten years on, I feel great, and I think the exercise classes were the key

According to the National Heart Foundation of Australia, a heart attack can manifest as a choking or burning feeling in your throat. The good news is that this painful symptom isn't common. In the aforementioned JAMA study, only 11 percent of men and 10 percent of women mentioned experiencing a choking sensation A goiter is an enlarged thyroid gland, causing a lump in the throat below the Adam's apple. Swallowed object. Symptoms of swallowing an object include coughing, choking, vomiting, throat pain, breathing trouble, and more. Chronic sinusitis. Chronic sinusitis, or sinus infections, cause a stuffy or runny nose, tooth pain, fever, sore throat and.

Choking Sensation in Throat: Causes, Solutions » Scary

1. Mucus Buildup in Throat Overview. If you have a lot of Phlegm in your throat on a constant basis, this is known as mucus buildup and can make you miserable. It may clog your breathing passages and feel like it is there all the time. It is interesting to know that your body makes between 1 and 2 liters of mucus every single day
  2. Is anxiety causing you to have a choking sensation, gagging and constant throat clearing??? You are not alone! I have had discussions with many people over t..
  3. ated or polluted air, triggering a series of infections. It can also lead to the inflammation of the mucous membrane and tightening of the chest muscles
  4. Palpitations make you feel like your heart is beating too hard or too fast, skipping a beat, or fluttering. You may notice heart palpitations in your chest, throat, or neck
  5. Relationship between Abnormal Sensation in the Throat and Menopause. Abnormal sensations in the throat (AST) are commonly encountered in general and otolaryngological practice, especially among middle aged women. These sensation may occur alone, or more often, in combination with the systemic symptoms, including those of menopause

choking and suffocating feeling ! please help. Please advice if any one had to deal with this before. My husband had a neck dissection in mid of april where they removed lymp nodes. Since after his surgery he has constant choking feeling, pressure against his windpipe. He feels some one is strangling his throat all the time There is a feeling of loss of self. Hormone therapy ameliorates the depression dramatically. Symptom 25 (weight gain) often around the waist and thighs, resulting in 'the disappearing waistline' Symptom 29 (shock sensation) the feeling of a rubber band snapping in the layer of tissue between skin and muscle. It is a precursor to a hot flas 2.30 Osteoporosis. 2.31 Irregular Heartbeat. 2.32 Breast Pain. 2.33 Changes in Breast Tissue. 2.34 Tingling Sensation. 2.35 Electric Shock Sensation. 3 Sepalika's Natural Menopause Treatment Program. 3.1 Related posts: For any woman, menopause is a natural part of aging For Lynn Montoya, a personal trainer who lives in Orange County, California, menopause made her feel completely exhausted. The decrease in her energy levels weren't too noticeable at first, but.

Menopause Board Index: Choking Feeling in Throa

1. Most of us have heard about what happens when estrogen levels decrease after menopause in women. For example, women have an increased risk of developing osteoporosis and bone fractures as a result, and low estrogen levels can also cause hot flashes, night sweats, heart palpitations, headaches, and insomnia
  2. I get something similar even now. I get the feeling of a lump in the back of my throat and it is difficult to talk--almost like I am losing my voice. This happens later in the day after I have been working for awhile. I am going to the Dr. tomorrow and am going to ask about this. It is not really painful--just a weird feeling
  3. Research suggests that women have a 3.5 times higher risk of sleep apnea after menopause than they do before the transition, says Sara Nowakowski, PhD, an assistant professor in psychiatry and.
  4. However I'd get a choking feeling during singing, not while eating. Let your voice rest. It sounds like you're not used to doing this, or your voice isn't, rather. It only happened when I tried too hard to sing raspy. Hasn't happened in years:thu
  5. Choking occurs when an object, food, or liquid plugs the throat. It happened with me once in the 1970s & I really was about to lose my life but a friend helped me by hitting my back between the.

Menopausal & Gastrointestinal Symptoms Healthfull

1. For the past 2 months I've had the sensation of a lump in my throat, and a feeling of tightness in my throat. I have no problems swallowing. I have constant pain in the middle of my abdomen, under my sternum. Also it feels like my diaghram is very sore, and hurts all the time. I burp alot, and have loose stools
  2. Crashing fatigue in menopause causes its own problems. Along with deep tiredness, crashing fatigue has its own symptoms: Irritability in menopause. Anxiety. Difficulty concentrating. Frequent hunger. Inability to sleep well, waking up tired. Racing thoughts at night. Reduced enthusiasm about life
  3. Constantly feel like i have a hair in my throat. Often the sensation of feeling hair in your throat can be caused when you do not chew something all the way and something sharp brushes up against the wall of your throat. Treatment. If this takes place, the wound needs to naturally heal on its own (don't despair). If the uncommon sensation.
  4. Even if you're a woman going through menopause, can manifest as a choking or burning feeling in your throat. men and 10 percent of women mentioned experiencing a choking sensation

Cricopharyngeal spasm: Remedies, treatment, and symptom

Throat cancer refers cancer that develops in your throat (pharynx) or voice box (larynx). Your throat is a muscular tube that begins behind your nose and ends in your neck. Throat cancer most often begins in the flat cells that line the inside of your throat. Your voice box sits just below your throat and also is susceptible to throat cancer A burning tongue. One of the weirder symptoms of the perimenopause affecting four out of 10 women, this is thought to be a result of activation of pain-sensitive nerve cells surrounding the bitter taste buds at the back of the tongue, which can be damaged by dwindling oestrogen. Symptoms, which can also affect gums, lips and other areas of the.

How to handle menopause dry mouth - Live Better With Menopaus

Did you know that choking is the leading cause of death in children aged 3 years and younger ? From foods to small toys and coins, the causes of choking-related deaths and fatalities are often small objects that get stuck in the throat and block the airways. Choking can be followed by irreversible death of brain cells in as little as 10 minutes You have a piece of food stuck in your throat. Maybe a piece of steak you didn't chew well enough. It isn't blocking your airway, but it's definitely not going anywhere anytime soon. Should you go to the ER? Emergency physician Dr. Troy Madsen tells us when that lodged bit of food is an emergency and shares a surprising at-home remedy to try Some of the symptoms overlap or have a cascade effect. For example, vaginal dryness may contribute to a lower sex drive, and frequent nighttime hot flashes may be a factor in insomnia. Hot flashes and vaginal dryness are the two symptoms most frequently linked with menopause. Other symptoms associated with menopause include sleep disturbances. Many women experience an array of symptoms as their hormones shift during the months or years leading up to menopause — that is, the natural end of menstruation. Menopause is a point in time, but perimenopause ( peri, Greek for around or near + menopause) is an extended transitional state. It's also sometimes referred to as the menopausal. The coughing and choking may also be a reflex caused by irritation of the esophagus and throat. How to Avoid Choking from Acid Reflux Sleep on the Left Side. This position seems to help reduce nighttime acid reflux choking, according to some internal medicine specialists. Lose Some Weight. Heartburn seems to get worse as you gain weight

3 more surprising menopause symptoms you may not know

Postnasal drip, also referred to as upper airway cough syndrome, occurs when mucus and fluid from the sinuses and nose drain into your throat. It's usually described as a sensation of something dripping into the throat, and this can be irritating and lead to a burning feeling. A cough is also common as you constantly attempt to clear your throat I some-times feel like throat is closng off and at time eevn choak on saliva. I helped take care of a man who had severe MS and he had phlem bad. He actually gurgled while speaking and had severe swollowing problems. This was in 1983 and treatments werent as they are today. My fear is that I will end up like him and he died choking on a boiled egg Hi all. For the last month I have had a swelling feeling in my neck..both side, below each sides of my jaw. ach week this is getting more pronounced and is actaully feeling like I am being choked somewhat 24 hours a day. It is driving me nuts. It is not under the back of the jaw, more like half way out and under, kind of just above the adams apple

Dry mouth and a lack of saliva are two other unexpected, and unwanted, symptoms of menopause. And, no surprise, it's linked to a drop in estrogen and progesterone. The fluctuating levels of these hormones affect your salivary glands, leaving your mouth feeling dry and sticky. Saliva is a natural cleansing agent Dry throat at night can be described as a rough, scratchy, itching and irritating feeling. Drying of the mucous membrane inside the mouth is the main cause of dry throat. In some cases, this is often a symptom of an underlying medical such as diabetes, anxiety, or menopause. In this topic, we discuss some of the common causes of dry mouth and. Feeling of something stuck in throat. 27 Nov 2020 19:03 in response to Miche3. Hello all of you with symptoms in your throat. I am a throat cancer survivor ! If you feel something isn't right , get back to your doctors and fight for that ENT appointment . If you can afford it maybe go privately to get seen

Menopause and GERD - HealingWel

Swallowing is a complex act. Many nerves work in a fine balance to control how the muscles of the mouth, throat, and esophagus work together. A brain or nerve disorder can alter this fine balance in the muscles of the mouth and throat. Damage to the brain may be caused by multiple sclerosis, Parkinson disease, or stroke Epsom salt baths can help relieve influenza, sore throat and other illnesses that cause choking feeling in the throat. Soak in the bath for 10-15 minutes. Follow up with a cool compress applied to the throat. Bishop's weed. Gargling with an infusion of Bishop's weed can help relieve sore throat and choking feeling

Oropharyngeal dysphagia relates to the nerve and muscle problems that make it hard to move food from the mouth to the throat, and swallowing may cause coughing, gagging, or choking; sometimes even the sensation of food and liquid going into the wrong pathways. This can be symptomatic of a neurological disorder such as multiple sclerosis. Contents. 0.1 The main reasons that may lead to a gurgling in throat: 0.1.1 Mucus blockage: 0.1.2 Acid reflux: 0.1.3 Foreign body in throat: 0.1.4 Pharyngitis or Laryngitis: 0.2 Prevention of gurgling in throat and possible treatments: 0.2.1 Steam Inhalation: 0.2.2 Changing lifestyle habits Menopause itself is just the moment in time, marking 12 months of no periods. For UK women, the average age of menopause is 51, but symptoms can start several years before that. Symptoms typically start showing at an average age of 45 years. Feeling soreness in your breasts is a common symptom in perimenopause. It is the same as the sore. Sore Throat, Painful Neck Swelling, Choking Feeling, Difficulty Swallowing, Thick Tongue, Cough Each of these symptoms can be the result of thyroid problems, but I didn't realize how much until I developed a case of something which appeared to be very similar to something called Painful Subacute Thyroiditis (SAT)

menopause choking feeling in throat - weldman

Perimenopause, or menopause transition, begins several years before menopause.It's the time when the ovaries gradually begin to make less estrogen.It usually starts in women's 40s, but can start. Choking Definition Choking is the inability to breathe because the trachea is blocked, constricted, or swollen shut. Description Choking is a medical emergency. When a person is choking, air cannot reach the lungs. If the airways cannot be cleared, death follows rapidly. Anyone can choke, but choking is more common in children than in adults. Choking is. Mucus in the throat is common among heavy smokers, who frequently feel they need to spit out. Excessive mucus production also occurs due to viral or bacterial infection of the upper respiratory tract. This can cause sinusitis, bronchitis, and asthma, which are characterized by mucus production in the throat Lump in throat, also known as globus sensation, is a feeling of having something stuck in your throat even if is not physically present.. In such cases, people tend to drink a lot of fluid to make sure that the lump goes down the throat. In some cases, the lump may feel as big as a tennis ball or as small as a pill, situated in the middle of the neck, right below Adam's apple